Friday, April 21, 2006

Sleep

I've been awake since 5 a.m and I'm not headed out to ski! (Really, skiing and international flights used to be the only things that got me out of bed before 7 a.m.)

Last night Lauren went to bed around 11:30 and woke up at 5. I think she tired hersself out yesterday. She was probably having, according to L. and Nonnon a "growth spurt day" because she feasted all day, at one point for over an hour, always with less than an hour in between. Which made it difficult to get anything done because I had to sit and hold her little head. I can read a magazine, or check email but it's difficult to write back with only one hand.

Right now she is FAST asleep in bed tucked in next to Daddy. It's cute, they are facing the same way and both deeply asleep. She's his little mini-me if he were a bald little girl! I am not back in bed yet because when I changed her in bed, in between getting the old diaper off and putting the new one on, Lauren made a little mess. Some of it got on the sheet and I am not about to go back to sleep on that! Ryan is blissfully sleeping through the whole thing, and it's on my side of the bed not anywhere near him, so instead of waking him up I will let him sleep through it and change the sheets in the morning. We just changed the sheets the day before yesterday, too! Oh well.

And this brings me to my next point-blissfully sleeping Ryan can sleep through Lauren crying in the night, whereas I with my new "mothering hormones" wake up several times when she makes any kind of stir. I guess it's because he doesn't have breasts. ;)

The kind of sleep I am getting, or NOT getting, I've only experienced a few times in my life. The last time I can think of, I was in Pisa. I had flown in to Pisa at midnight and was supposed to catch a 5:45a train the next morning to Siena to be there in time for a conference that started at 8:00a, changing trains once. So this meant I had to get up at 4:45a in order to shower, check out, and catch a taxi to the train station. I was convinced that since my body would not accept ~4 hours of sleep, I would oversleep. So I set the alarm in the room, the alarm on my phone, and asked for a wakeup call. Despite this, I woke up just about every 10 minutes throughout the morning. I was never able to relax enough to get good sleep, and that's what I feel like most nights now.

No comments: