Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Cut off from the outside world

My DSL connection went down for about 2 days and it felt like pioneer times! I had to resort to such archaic communication forms as the telephone (through which I eventually obtained the needed information to restore the connection) and even FACE-TO-FACE VISITS!

Lauren has had more visitors lately and is expecting even more in the coming evenings. In case you wanted to see her, yes, it is appropriate to call us now and you won't be disturbing us. If you are, I simply won't pick up the phone. ;) I usually don't have the cordless near me when it rings, so it's either convenient for me to pick up the corded phone, and I do, or it's inconvenient so I just let it ring into the answering machine. Either way, unless you're calling at 3 a.m. or something, you're probably not going to bother us at this point.

YOU'RE not going to, but sales calls will! I'm on the do-not-call list and every "do not annoy me" list in existance (which means I get far less junk mail than, say, my mother-in-law who was staying with us for 8 months but moved out 2 months ago, yet gets far more sales crap clogging up the mailbox than I do). Yet, somehow I have been getting sales calls lately from political interest groups and people conducting polls. For a friend, I will gladly chat, even welcome the interuption if it is interupting. But for a call-bank person, I will feel annoyed even if I was doing absolutely nothing, standing inches from the phone and wide awake.

No comments: