Friday, September 19, 2008

Well, that explains it

I tried to donate blood today at the blood drive next to Lauren's school. Got all the way through the extensive paperwork (Tricky questions like"Have you ever paid someone for sex who has had homosexual sex with a man?") and waiting around and then the prick of the finger and the wait while they tested my hemoglobin. And guess what? It was too low to donate. :( They gave me a pamphlet on anemia and I drove immediately to Trader Joe's to pick up some high-iron foods. There is iron in my prenatal vitamins, but I have been slacking on taking them, since I'm not actually pregnant and not breastfeeding as much.

The sheet has the symptoms-fatigue, headaches, feeling light-headed, shortness of breath, dizziness, pale skin, ringing in the ears, rapid heart rate. check, check, check, check, check, check, check, [if I had the time & interest to check my heart rate maybe] check. But of course I thought that state of health was normal for someone with a small enthusiastic child constantly sapping my energy. And when I wake up in funky curled up positions after sleeping next to said child, of course I have some headaches, fatigue, etc. But maybe this is not so normal and with a little iron, I'll be back to my peppy self.

No comments: