Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Italian Festival

The Feast of San Gennaro is this weekend at Hollywood & Highland. We're going, we had a blast last year, and I even ran into an old friend from summer camp from almost 20 years ago there! Not sure yet which day we're going but let me know if you'd like to join us. I am, for those who don't know, 1/4 Italian from my mom's mom and proudly so. What does this mean? I am picky about my pasta, I love black olives and black licorice, and I was raised with the saying "food is love!" :)

The thing of it is, if you add up the rest of my ancestors' countries of origin, I might have more blood from some other country (England? Germany? Wales?) but they came here so long ago that the culture is lost. But my Italian great-grandparents came to Ellis Island in the 1910's and we still have cousins in Parma we can visit, and beautiful names and family recipes to draw from, and I think it's just great. So I plan to go and get a cannoli and some pizza (both of which are from Southern Italy so would've been foreign to my ancestors but I can enjoy them now anyway) and have a delicious time. Who's in?

No comments: