Saturday, January 19, 2008

Lesson learned

This morning Lauren was doing her usual sorting of spoons in the silverware drawer ("ma 'poons, ma 'poons") when she decided to explore the drawer next to it. You know, the junk drawer. Everyone has one, the place where you throw miscellaneous stuff. This drawer happened to contain a small condiment cup full of hot pepper flakes that come when you buy a pizza. As I saw Lauren lift it up and shake it, I formed the word "no" too late, and she broke it open, spilling little pepper seeds all over the kitchen.

I grabbed the dust-buster and started cleaning up. As I did so, I warned her "do NOT eat the pepper." Of course, she ate the pepper. Tears welled up in her eyes as she tried to spit out the seeds and she said "I so SO sorry, I SO SO SORRY!" over and over again. I wiped her mouth, gave her some milk to drink and say "nah, nah, I told you so!". No of course, I didn't do that. But I did remind her that if I tell her not to eat something, there's a good reason why not.

Oh, and as she was drifting off to sleep, she said one more time, "Mama, I so so sorry about peppas!"

No comments: