Amazon SearchBox

Friday, July 06, 2007

Near-misses

This morning I am still reeling from 2 near misses. A bomb exploded in my kitchen, and my daughter ate poison. Or at least, that's what it felt like.

In actuality, a Durex glass bowl exploded in the microwave (so much for microwave-safe!) while I was thawing peas for Lauren and shattered into hundreds of pieces. It sounded like a bomb and scared me. I called Crate & Barrel to find out why their product (glass stacking bowls) would do that and they were not very helpful. More in another post-I await their response to my email.

Then Lauren was wandering around and had what looked like a shopping receipt in her mouth. Turns out she'd found a packet of "DO NOT EAT-SILICON" from some shoebox or other. When I took it away and saw the warning, I immediately grabbed the bottle of ipecac syrup and called Poison Control (1-800-222-1222). Didn't have to use the syrup. The nice man on the phone said that it was one of the most common kinds of calls they receive and that silicon is not harmful and will pass through her body. I'm just supposed to give her some water to help her digest it. I then wrote the Poison Control phone # on tape on the back of the phone so I won't have to google it next time and waste precious time.

Phew!

No comments: