Sunday, July 08, 2007

Food pantry info

Last week I dropped off some food at the Westside Food Bank in Santa Monica. Mona had some things leftover and I added some things from our pantry, for 25 pounds total. The whole process was really easy, from driving there to parking, to finding a staff person to help, and the whole thing from my house to the pantry, then back home again took less than 1/2 hour. (I live only about 3 miles away.) We even got a tax receipt.

I found out that they are in greater need of food during the summer months because there are not as many organized food drives then. You know how at the holidays it seems like every store and office has one of those giant cans for a food drive? But people are hungry and in need all year.

Here's the info & directions in case any of you are inspired to go:

From my house, take 10 West to Cloverfield. Make a right on Cloverfield and first left on Michigan. First right on 22nd. It is the mustard colored building on the left, #1710.
They are open...I forgot the exact hours but it was something like 9-5. There are other food banks around town even closer to my house but they had limited hours and are only open a few hours each day so it was nice to be able to roll into WSFB's parking lot at 2:00 p.m. and have them be open!.

I was thinking next year for my birthday I might create my own mini-food drive and ask people to each bring canned items to the party. But then again I might forget by the time February rolls around, so someone remind me!

No comments: