Hard to believe from the name, but this recipe is my family’s most-requested dish, the one that has my kids begging for second and third helpings!
Recipe: Spinach Souffle, adopted from Sundays at the Moosewood Restaurant
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Get out a 9 x 13 glass Pyrex pan and oil bottom and sides with approx. 1/8 cup olive oil, then sprinkle 1/3 cup breadcrumbs on bottom.
Mix in KitchenAid mixer:
- 6 eggs
- ½ pounds frozen spinach, defrosted and pressed to remove excess water
- 1 pound of cottage cheese (can use feta, ricotta or a combination of all 3)
- ½ cup Romano/Parmesan blend
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs (or almond meal if you are doing gluten-free)
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 ¾ cups shredded extra-sharp New York cheddar (you can cheapen out and use other cheddar if your other cheese are sharp)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Mix and pour into pan. Sprinkle ¼ cup of grated extra-sharp NY cheddar on top.
Bake at 350 for approx 1 hour until golden brown on top
Serve warm or chilled. The recipe is very forgiving, can swap other kinds of sharp cheeses. Just keep the spinach/egg ratio and have fun experimenting! Great brunch food but we also have it often for dinner!