Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Caffeine jitters? Try coconut water!

This morning I was veeeeeery tired and accidentally had two cups of coffee.  I was so tired I forgot I'd had one so I poured myself a second.  I'm such a caffeine lightweight that it made my heart pound like it was coming out of my chest and made me feel nervous and jittery.  I would have preferred being half asleep!

After I dropped William off at school, I went to Trader Joe's and got groceries and then as an afterthought, popped in to CVS to check my blood pressure to see exactly how fast my heart was pounding.  I truly expected to be some astronomical number, like they would say "300?!  I didn't know someone could still be alive with it that high!" but it was "only" 128 over 80.  I still felt like I was on speed (*note, I am joking, I have never actually done speed!) so asked the pharmacist if there was anything I could do to counterattack the caffeine and he suggested drinking a ton of water and eating lots of bananas for their potassium.

That got me thinking of coconut water which is naturally high in potassium.  I asked him about that and he said "yes, that would be great to drink!" .  Wow, it really was.  I downed one in the parking lot and IMMEDIATELY felt more calm.  It was the same effect as if, say, I had been really nail-bitingly nervous about a kid on the edge of a cliff, and then they got rescued and I could instantly relax.  Whew!

So, I felt the need to share with you all in case you find yourself in the same situation, learn from me.  And while you're learning from me and my stupid mistakes, here's what to do if:
-you accidentally steal a car
-your kid needs poison control
-you need your appendix out
-your kid cuts himself and needs stitches

Happy sipping!

No comments: